My angular and wandering travels....

My photo
Duncanville, TX, United States
I'm an international person, having spent 6+years of my youth in various Central and South American countries. Within my occupation as a television engineer, I've since traveled back to Mexico several times to film various religious sites, to Ireland to film a video documentary on the life of St. Patrick, to Portugal and England. Each time I took hundreds of pictures, wrote songs and poems about the things I saw and heard and felt go on around me, and tried to absorb a sense for what people in each locale thought. How they love, how they see, how they think.... My other sites: www.myspace.com/mothtoacandle http://community.webshots.com/user/waynocook www.soundclick.com/eddieaustin

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Back in Vietnam




I cried pretty quickly, though I tried to hold them back...
it's really hard to read, then you just lose track,
No one really notices, and if they did, I wouldn't care,
It's folks like you, who are kind enough to share.

Looking at one grave, and another's headstone
you wonder how these people died, being hugged or just alone,
I guess it doesn't matter, they're heroes all the same,
'tis a sacrifice, and very little fame

I often think how it would be different, were it me, 'stead of them,
no kids in this house, just a pretty woman with no man
would I have honored myself, my family, and gramma, yes ma''am
Had I gone to war, tramped the swamps, back in Vietnam

I can hear the rolling thunder, some rifles fired near the graves
for the fellows and women, who know up in Heaven, Jesus Saves
He protected one fellow who by providence was spared
And I write this in honor of the proud ones who dared
........Back in Vietnam

1 comment:

shree said...

it brought back lots of memories...even this side of the world we too suffered.